Thursday, May 1, 2008

My compost and flowers

After all this time of dumping garbage and clippings in the lot behind Chock's run, I decided to collect some and use it on my flowers. My friend Mimi has an indoor worm bin for composting and she likes to use hers on her flowers. She gave me several plants that I don't have.
I just shoveled some onto the screen (about 1/2 inch openings) and it sifted through easily and in 10 minutes I had a washtub full of very rich compost, so I planted new stuff with it and put around other plants.
Old blue irises at barn are just blooming.
This blue flowers are from bulbs Trudi gave me for birthday last year. I have forgotten what it is, but it is pretty.

3 comments:

Karen said...

wow, that compost is rich looking!

your flowers are lovely also - and i loved the photos of your friend's house. really cool. have fun with your dirt and garden! love, k

Mimi said...

I think I shall try composting like this!!!!! That dirt looks wonderful. The iris are gorgeous.

affectioknit2 said...

What pretty flowers - it's still so brown here - our crocus came up but they got frozen - it's supposed to be 34 tonight - so it still might frost...

Love,

T